Maybe not so fascinating but just wanted to do a fun post this time round to share some stuff about my hair and also to learn about your own hair as well. So here goes:
1. My hair is thick I used to not like this but now I embrace its thickness wholeheartedly.
2. It does not like to be co washed. Try as I might anytime I co wash my hair all I get is this coated feeling. I can do it once in a while but I cannot go too long without washing my hair with shampoo.
3. My hair loves to be washed with shampoos that contain one kind of sulfate which is sodium laureth sulfate such shampoos usually detangle my hair and never leave my hair feeling stripped. I try to stay away from all other forms of sulfate shampoos except when it is absolutely necessary.
4. My hair does not like to lay down so much except when I take a hair straightener/flat iron to it.
5. My hair always shrinks in length (I think the humidity in Nigeria also plays a factor). There are times when just before I get a relaxer I think my hair has not grown and then it surprises me after I put some heat on it.
6. My scalp usually loves to be oiled, oiling my scalp feels so good during and afterwards.
7. My hair loves protein deep conditioners mixed with moisture deep conditioners but after this will not take too ligtly to a protein leave in or hair moisuturiser so I use these sparingly even on none wash days.
8. I used to have the darkest black hair, everyone thought I had it dyed back in secondary school now it is still dark but a lot lighter in some parts.
9. Most hair stylists say my hair does not take too well to relaxers so no matter how often I get it relaxed and even do corrective relaxers it still maintains this texlaxed feel which I have grown to love and embrace.
10. My favourite protective style of all time is the bun I do all sorts but for a curly look I love a flexi rod set bun.
Kindly share some peculiarities about your hair, what it likes and does not like. Everyone’s hair is uniquely different and we should learn to embrace what makes us different and be proud of it.
PS. These are some older pictures of my hair before I cut it, slowly but surely it is getting back there. Our Birthday Hair Growth Challenge is coming to an end I am hoping for a fuller bun at the end of it. I will also straighten my hair at the end of the challenge, I hope you have all been rewarded from following the rules.
Have patience with everything that remains unresolved in your heart…. live in the question – Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet
my hair shrinks too. When I get a fresh relaxer its all laid and looking long. By my first wash day it has reverted!
My hair love JBCO on my scalp, likes protein, I'm a bunner. OMG your thickness is beautiful.
Wow! your is lovely! how long have you been growing it natural?. I have never done a protein treatment, Of what use is it? my routine is simply wash and deep condition once a week, and then the oil + water mixture sprayed every 2 days in between washes. Is that good enough to help my hair grow longer and healthier?
Sorry too many questions :).
Lol we must have the same type of hair! Thanks for your comment dear, xx
Nice to know we have hair similarities, thanks for your lovely compliment, xx
I am not too sure of how long I have been growing it I will say maybe about two years. Some people think I have natural hair however it is relaxed. Please dear check the sort of conditioner you use already to check whether there are any protein ingredients listed in it. I have done a post on deep conditioners please search for it in the search bar of this blog this will help. Protein treatments are usually better suited for those with relaxed hair, natural hair does not require frequent protein treatments except your natural hair loves protein. Protein gives the hair strength, rebuilds the hair and can help with breakage. Your routine sounds fine however you might want to experiment with other moisturisers to see which your hair responds to best. I am always glad for people to ask questions as I love to help and when you ask here other people can benefit as well. Hope I have been able to help and thanks for your lovely compliment, xx
I have ridiculous shrinkage, while I'm a fan of protein conditioners/treatments– I can't call myself a fan of protein leave ins (yet), My hair LOVES co-washing, and I haven't "oiled" my scalp in the last decade.
LOVE your scarf!
KLP @ SavingOurStrands
yea my hair wen i was still relaxed had dat texlaxed look to it many times too.
i like ur last pic- u look kinda north african lol, with the nose and all.
Thank you so much, you have truly helped me through my hair journey. My hair is natural so I guess I do not have to do the protein treatment very often. Thanks a lot *hugs*
Yayyyy my relaxed hair crush is back. How have you been dear? My hair is natural and i only realized 2 months ago that my hair actually loves wash and go. It also love weekly deep conditioning 🙂
Oh and i forgot to add, my hair loves a mixture of coconut and olive oil.
Thanks for your comment dear, xx
Thanks for the compliment, lol, xx
I have been good love, thanks for commenting, xx
Thanks for sharing. It helped me to get to know you better. Your hair is thick but looks great. Embrace that for sure. My hair is protein sensitive so I have to go easy on the protein usage.
Divachyk @Relaxed Thairapy
am very new in this hair journey pls check out my blog as i face the challenges of transitioning from relaxed to natural hair. ezechimereuchenna.blogspot.com
Love your thick hair..
One thing about my hair is that it loves protein conditioners especially those containing keratin
Hi! nominated you for the Liebster award! 🙂 Check out the deets on my blog if you are interested.
Haha thanks you for sharing this facts ! I really love your hairstyle btw ! Do you have any tuto?
It's soo cool to knw my hair has a twin… I'm on a hair journey too..